Monday, April 30, 2007

The Final Month: May

May is going to be the last month of the CCP. Fortunately, it'll be going out with a bang. The 5/2 session will be based on "To Kill a Mockingbird" to coincide with the national America Reads events. Later in the month, I hope to have a special guest speaker from the area give the kids some art tips. For the final lesson on 5/30, I plan to base a lesson on an adaptation of "Shine or Die," a massive story arc I wrote with Erin Ptah for And Shine Heaven Now.

In addition to the main session at the New Haven Public Library, I'll be adding a series of 4 additional "CCP Workshops" at the Dixwell-Yale Community Learning Center (DYCLC). These 4 workshops will be presented twice a day to two classes of 20-25 students at the DYCLC. I'll be condensing the material I presented at the library and using new and old templates.

Also attending the workshops at the DYCLC will be a small group of students from the High Meadow School of Hamden. The High Meadow School is a special school for troubled youths. The instructors there see the CCP as something that can help tap the creativity of these children to help inspire them to improve.

I'm also going to look at doing a special one-shot CCP presentation at the Yale Bookstore for local schools, but that'll depend largely on how much time I have left.

And, of course, looming on the horizon is the Comic Making Tournament, the grand conclusion to all things CCP here in New Haven. That's scheduled for June 2 from 11 - 2 PM. May is going to be when the preparations for the CMT start moving with added momentum. I'll also be finding out if the grant application for prize money I sent back in March gets approved or not.

This looks to be a great month!

No comments: