Thursday, July 17, 2008

CCP Events Update

I've been a bit derelict in posting on what the CCP has been up to. Here's quick run down of some of the planned activities for July so you know what to expect:

The 6/26/08 Module was actually held July 1, but went well. I have some of the comics from it, but I'm still waiting for some students to finish them before I post the numbers.

The Human Service Center had to cancel the comic project due to short staffing. They didn't have enough teachers, so they had to cut down on their summer program, which meant canceling a lot of extra activities like the CCP. The HSC seems to be highly vulnerable to a lot of chaos and last minute rescheduling. Back in November, for example, I was supposed to do a workshop there, but it eventually got pushed back all the way to March because of construction going past schedule and staffing issues. Based on this, I don't think the HSC will be a suitable place for regular sessions. I'll approach them with one-shot workshops now and then, but in order to do sessions I need a place that can provide a consistent schedule.

Fortunately, I've found two alternate locations that the CCP could start going to regularly: the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Club. Both are located close to campus and are accessible by bus. They're approaching the end of their summer programs, but I can get a good idea of how the staff are and decide between the two when the school year starts.

On July 22, I'll be running three workshops at the local YMCA: one with 9-12 year olds, one with 7-8 year olds, and the third with 5-6 year olds. The first workshop is 1 hour with ~20 kids, while the other two are 30 minutes with ~13 kids. All the kids have signed release forms, so pictures and videos will be posted.

On July 24, there'll be another 1 hour workshop at a Boys and Girls Club. This will be a one-shot deal for ~15 kids 8-13. Pictures and videos will be posted.

Based on the results of the 7/22 and 7/24 workshops, that will determine where CCP Sessions begin in September. I'm looking at bringing it back as either a weekly or bi-weekly program, depending on how difficult my semester is.

I'll post details such as templates being used and material being covered soon.

No comments: