Friday, August 15, 2008

Webcomics at Otakon Part 2: Meeting Old Friends

I've mentioned the new comic creators I met at Otakon 2008, but I also met several creators who had long ago granted permission for their art to be used in the Create a Comic Project.

One of the first creative pairs I met were Dave Cheung and Jamal Joseph of Chugworth Academy, who let me use their comic when I was still in New Haven.
Another "old timer" was Krazy Krow, the guy behind Krakow and Marilith. I've been using his comics since New Haven, as well.
Krow was kind enough to draw me a quick little sketch: myself as a cowboy with cat ears!
Hawk and Ananth of Applegeeks were also there. I didn't start using their comic until recently, but it's already become a favorite of the kids. They were also kind enough to do a quick sketch of Eve for me (pictured above).
I got a shot of Jennie Breeden of Devil's Panties, who even went through the trouble of posing! I'd been meaning to ask her to join the project for a while, so it was great that Otakon finally gave me the opportunity.
Dirk Tiede of Paradigm Shift and Shawn Handyside of Staccato drew sketches for me, though I forgot to get pictures of them. Dirk drew me as a character from Bleach.
Shawn paired me with my very own Companion Cube!
One artist and friend who I got to spend a lot of time with: Erin Ptah of And Shine Heaven Now! She's an incredibly prolific artist, the #1 Hellsing fan on the Internet, and a lot of fun to hang around with. She's also very humble, which leaves me to point out how awesome she is.


I'll be posting these pics and some others in the gallery later. Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of Brion Foulke from Flipside, since I kept missing him at his booth.

Overall, Otakon 2008 gave me a great chance to meet the faces behind the comics I've been using. All of them are great people, dedicated to their craft and willing to help the next generation as best they can. As I've said several times, one reason I prefer webcomics over syndicated comics is the strong sense of community. This trip provides strong evidence to support it.

With luck, I may be able to go to Otakon 2009!

No comments: