Saturday, September 8, 2007

CCP Anniversary Workshop

In case you're wondering why I'm acquiring all these new comics when the CCP has been on hiatus, it's because I'm preparing for upcoming events. One of these is an anniversary workshop that I'm planning for November 20, 2007. It's not precisely one year from the start, but close enough.

I've talked to the Carnegie Library people and will be working on finding a proper venue. Two of the libraries I approached (a branch near my home and the main branch) do not have any significant grade school population; they only have very young kids (toddlers) or older teens. The reason for the difficulty is demographics: while the New Haven Public Library had several elementary schools nearby, the two libraries I talked to apparently do not.

Fortunately, the librarians did tell me there's an interest for more programming. Once I fill out the volunteer application form and submit a summary of the CCP, they'll be working with me to find a library that has sufficient numbers of children for the CCP to run.

The librarians also suggested trying an alternate approach in case they can't help me: use the University of Pittsburgh's own community connections to reach out directly to schools. It's been a few years since I was last in a classroom as an instructor, but this might be a good approach based on Tycho and Gabe's experience.

Additionally, I'm hoping to run a second workshop the week of December 17, 2007 with a holiday theme. I'm also working on laying the groundwork for the second Comic Making Tournament in March.

No comments: